Saturday, August 29, 2009

Can you say this on public television?

As I write, Illinois TV station WGN Sports is airing the Yankees-White Sox game, which the Yanks are dominating 9-0. One of the White Sox announcers just said, "The Yankees lineup has a lot of hitters who know how to ride a pitcher hard and put him away wet."

Isn't this expression a sexual allusion, albeit one with great color? I always thought so. Maybe not. Maybe it has something to do with livestock. Anyone?

And yes, I'm supposed to be out touring Abe Lincoln historical sites, but I got stuck trying to decide whether or not to shave my beard. You know, important stuff.

Oh, and the same announcer just referred to a hard swing and miss by Nick Swisher as "big head no cattle." Maybe that says something about the earlier statement in question.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it is a horse-riding reference oh ye of dirty mind and as for the other one... http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/all_hat_and_no_cattle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'd always heard it used differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Non-horse people... (shakes head)... Always reading into things... I used to have horse equipment that lived in my truck, and I will just say that some of the looks/comments from my guy friends are why I finally made an effort to find somewhere else to store it...

    ReplyDelete